|For the kheema:||For the lasagne sheets:||For the bechamel (white) Sauce:||For the assembly:|
Prepare 1 large or 4 individual, small baking dishes by brushing them lightly with oil.
For the kheema:
1. Heat the oil in a large pan, add in the sugar and whole spices, saute' till they darken and get aromatic. Add the green chillies and saute for 1 minute until fragrant. Add the onion and garlic and saute till well browned. Add ginger and saute' for 1 minute.
2. Add the chicken mince, and stir fry for about 10-15 minutes till it is well browned. Add the tomato puree, garam masala and salt to the pan and mix well. Simmer till the liquid has reduced a little and the oil has separated. Stir in the coriander leaves. Set aside to cool.
For the lasagne sheets:
Brush lasagne sheets with a little oiland place in a flat square pan. Pour hot water over them to soak them and soften them up. (3-6 minutes).
For the bechamel (white) sauce:
1. Melt the butter,add the flour and stir well. Cook for about 1 minute till mixture begins to darken slightly. Add the milk in a steady stream and vigorously whisk while you do, adding the salt.
2. Let this mixture boil for about 3 minutes till it thickens to a creamy texture. Keep aside.
For the assembly:
1. Place a layer of soaked lasagne sheets in the prepared baking dishes.
2. Spread half the kheema over the lagsagne sheets.
3. Spread a layer of bechamel sauce over the kheema layer.
4. Lay another layer of lasagne sheets over the kheema layer. Then repeat layers of kheema, bechamel and lasagne sheets. Spread a thin layer of bechamel over the last layer.
5. Sprinkle parmesan and mozzarella cheese over the top and cover the baking dish with aluminium foil.
6. Bake at 180°C for about 15-20 minutes.
7. Remove the foil and bake uncovered for a further 5 minutes till the cheese turns golden brown.
8. Serve hot.
Alternatively, you could soften pasta sheets in hot water for a further 3 minutes, then spread each strip individually with kheema and roll up. Put rolled pasta into a glass baking dish, top with bechamel and cheese and bake.