|For the marination:||For the mashed potatoes:||For the crumble topping:||For the lamb:|
To marinate lamb:
Place lamb in a medium sized bowl. Toast and crush the cloves and cardamom pods and add to the bowl. Add salt and half a cup of red wine and mix well. Cover with cling film, leave to marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
For the crumble topping:
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C.
2. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
3. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper and chilli powder in a large mixing bowl. Mix well. Add the cold diced butter to the bowl and using your fingertips gently rub it into the flour. Do not use too much pressure. When the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs add the parmesan and cream and gently stir to bring all the ingredients together. Pour this mixture onto lined baking tray.
4. Bake at 150°C for about 15 minutes untilit is golden brown and fragrant.
For the mashed potatoes:
1. Mash the potatoes in a large mixing bowl.
2. In a saucepan, melt the butter and saute the garlic till golden. Add the rosemary and saute for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the milk bring to a boil. Add salt and mix well. Pour this hot milk into crushed potatoes. Mash to make it smooth and lump free. Keep aside.
For the lamb:
1. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic, chopped onion, carrot and celery to it and fry till translucent.
2. Add the meat along with its marinade and stir fry on high flame until liquid in pan is almost dried out and meat is browned. Add the potatoes and stir fry for 3-4 minutes till almost done. Add the baby onions and fry for 1 minute. Add the flour and mix well. Cook for 1 second. Add stock, remaining 1/2 cup wine and stir well.
3. Taste and adjust seasoning and simmer until thickened. Keep aside.
For the assembly:
1. Oil a large baking dish or 4 individual dishes and keep aside.
2. Spoon the mashed potato into the prepared dishes and spread out evenly. Spoon in the lamb and spread out evenly. Top with the prepared crumble.
3. Set oven function to "Grill, small area" and temperature to "Grill setting 2 (medium)".
4. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the crumble turns golden.
5. Serve hot.