|350g Sultanas||1tsp Mixed-spice powder/cinnamon powder|
|225g Raisins||225g Light brown sugar|
|11Sg Dried apricots, chopped||4 Eggs|
|85g Dates, pitted and chopped||70g Mixed fruit peel, chopped|
|60ml Dark rum/brandy||85g Glace cherries, chopped|
|Zest of 1 orange||40g Almonds, blanched & chopped Rum or brandy for soaking (optional)|
|Juice of 1 orange|
|225g Unsalted butter, extra for greasing|
|200g Refined flour|
1. Combine sultanas, raisins, apricots and dates in a large mixing bowl and stir in the rum, orange zest and orange juice. Cover and leave it to soak for one or more days in the refrigerator. The longer the fruit soaks, the more flavour it will absorb.
2. When you are ready to bake the cake, preheat the oven to 150°C.
3. Grease and line a deep, round, 8" cake tin.
4. Sift the flour and spice powder together and keep aside.
s. Combine the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl and whisk till light, fluffy and creamy.
6. Crack eggs individually into a small bowl to check they are not spoilt and combine in a larger bowl. Beat lightly.
7. Add eggs, a little at a time to the cake batter and beat well.
8. Stir in the soaked dried fruits, mixed peel, glace cherries and-al monds.
9. Add flour mixture to batter and fold gently till you get an even mixture.
10. Pour into the prepared baking tin. Using the back of a spoon, make a small depression in the middle of the batter to ensure the cake rises evenly.
11. Bake in the preheated oven for about 60-90 minutes. The cake is done when it begins to shrink away from the sides. Use the a skewer test to check if the cake is cooked through or bake a little longer until done.
12. Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool completely before taking it out of the tin. If you want the cake to be richer, pour a couple of tablespoons of rum or brandy over it to soak.
13. Divide the cake into 8 equal portions and serve.
14. Alternatively, cover with aluminium foil/parchment paper and store in a deep freezer for up to 3 weeks.
Combine 2 tbsp icing sugar with 1/3 tsp edible gold glitter and dust over cake and sprinkle with chopped tutti frutti and edible gold sprinkles to make it more festive.