|For the cupcakes:||For the frosting:|
|225g Butter 60ml Water||400g Cream cheese, softened|
|35g Cocoa powder||100g Butter,softened|
|3 Eggs||1tsp Vanilla essence|
|250ml Buttermilk||200g Icing sugar,extra as required|
|2tsp Vanilla extract||Red sprinkles to decorate (optional)|
|30ml Red edible food colour|
|280g Refined flour|
|8g Baking powder|
|280g Caster sugar|
|3ml White vinegar|
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Line cupcake tray with cupcake liners.
For the cupcakes:
1. Combine the butter, water and cocoa powder in a small saucepan, heat gently, stirring the mixture all the time, without letting it come to a boil, until it is smooth and even. Take off flame and leave to cool.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine eggs, buttermilk, vanilla extract and red food colour. Beat well until frothy.
3. Add the cooled cocoa mixture and beat well.
4. Add the sifted flour,corn flour and baking powder to the cocoa mixture.
5. Add the caster sugar and vinegar and mix well.
6. Pour batter into prepared moulds, up to 3/4 capacity giving them space to rise. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until the cupcakes have risen and feel firm to touch.
7. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack. Leave to cool to room temperature.
For the frosting:
1. Combine the frosting ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl and whisk until the mixture reaches a thick creamy piping consistency. If required, add in more icing sugar to thicken. (Icing sugar helps bind the mixture and thicken it).
2. Check that the cupcakes have reached room temperature.
3. To frost cupcakes, spread frosting over the cupcakes using a spoon or transfer frosting into a piping bag fixed with a star shaped nozzle and pipe onto the cupcakes.
4. Decorate the traditional way with crumbled red velvet cake or get creative with red sprinkles, hearts and flowers.